Mar and Gar's Adventures

Just another weblog

Too Much Excitement

Leave a comment

Well, we are home from San Diego and for the most part had a fabulous time – seeing old friends and meeting some great new friends.  You never know when you will connect or reconnect with people and that is the fun of it all.  We were not expecting to see retired Master Sargeant Dave Bell of the Des Moines Police department crewing with the Graham Trucking team.  Man, retirement looks good on him.  Saw John Walcker from Grandview on the Lake at Lake Chelan – we hadn’t seen him in several years.  I warned him that I would be over there with some girlfriends in October terrorizing the town.

Unfortunately, good friend Dave Rankin crashed on Sunday in the finals of the GN sprint boat race.  Gar was at the race site and I was on the bridge walking over to the races when it happened.  I saw it, but was so far away that I couldn’t make out what happened.  Most of the attention was first paid to the boat that was sinking and the driver was in the water.  It was a little bit before it was discovered that Dave was injured also.  Both drivers were transported to the hospital, with Dave having the most serious injuries.  Fortunately, he is expected to make a full recovery.  JUST 6 or 8 broken ribs, a collapsed lung and a broken clavicle.  His team and family pulled everything together… some went to the hospital and others took care of things back at the race site, including getting his Super Stock boat ready for it’s final heat of the weekend which was won by driver Ty Newton.  Congratulations and Get Well to Rankin Racing.

The crash

The crash

The minute the racing was done for the weekend we hustled back to our room to watch Sunday Night Football.  It was a disappointing night… dang those Seahawks.  We had pizza in the room and got ready for an early trip to the airport Monday.  It was a totally uneventful flight home (yay!) except for the man sitting ahead of us who lost his wedding ring.  We were all looking for it and he and his wife stayed on after everyone got off the plane to keep looking.  His wife was pretty funny.  She said after 39 years of marriage she was surprised it hadn’t happened before.

Not sure when the next adventure begins…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s