Mar and Gar's Adventures

Just another weblog

Leave a comment

Blog post January 25

Well, after much prep time we are finally on the road for about five weeks in the new motorhome. I am trying to draft this post as we drive and minute ago we hit a bump. My finger hit a button and 4 paragraphs of very descriptive writing totally disappeared! Foul language was used and now I am starting again.

Gar wanted to depart at 4:00 a.m. But I was hoping and hinting for more like 6:00 a.m. The idea was to avoid a lot of traffic. We actually didn’t get off until 6:30 (I won!) but we still had almost no traffic all day. Weather in Washington was mostly drizzly but the minute we hit the bridge over to Portland it got nice and was beautiful the rest of the day.

The motorhome ran great. We traded off driving with Garry taking the 1st and last leg and I drove for three hours in the middle. It was such a good drive that we made it to Garry’s hoped for destination of Weed, California. 9.5 hours and 523 miles. We got there in time to get some gorgeous shots of Mt. Shasta.

We had a nice dinner at a bbq place walking distance from our RV park… The Friendly RV Park. It lived up to its name with the owner giving us a great spot for the night.
After dinner and a little tv and reading it was an early night. Gar wanted an early start again to get away from traffic.

So…… Up at 5:00 and on the road by 6:30. We hit dense fog once we got to Redding. If lifted slightly at Sacramento but we are in Stockton while I am writing this part of the post and there is still fog but better visibility. Our day will not be as long as what Garry was originally hoping because he told me to watch for a truck wash place so I found one here in Stockton. We ate lunch and I am writing as they are washing us.

Gas prices vary. Oregon was pretty good. We got our Fred Meyer discount at a Shell station in Medford at $1.89 a gallon, but California prices are running $2.25 to $2.59.

It is many hours and early Monday morning as I continue with our adventure.

The traffic from Sacramento started picking up and soon it was non-stop semi trucks and crazy drivers diving in and out of traffic. As we got closer to Los Angeles we made a smart decision to cut over to Bakersfield and then head a slightly different route. It was getting late in the day when we pulled into a remote RV park in Tehachapi on route 58.

As we were on our new route I got a cell phone call from our new best friend Debra, who lives with her husband in Sun City. She has been awesome about checking things out for us and passing on vital information. She and Mike drove out to where we have reservations and she said that she didn’t think it would be smart to stay there. She had also found another place – not quite as close, but not bad, and they had two spaces. She said it wasn’t fancy but definitely an upgrade and safer than the place we had. I called the guy and snagged the two spots asap! We lose our deposit at the other but that seemed the smart thing to do.

Debra – just so you know, you are probably temporary best friend. I am pretty fickle. But you sure earned it for now! Thanks!!!!


OK – more time has passed. It is Tuesday so will try to catch up. Wifi has been pretty much non existent so I have not wanted to burn too much data in doing the posts.

Monday morning we actually slept in. The park we stayed at was out of town and out by a little airport where they do gliding lessons. There was a little cafe there so we had breakfast and then headed down the road through Mohave, Boron, past Edwards Air Force Base, through Barstow, etc. The rain started by the air force base and then rained steady for most of the rest of the day. We stopped in Lake Havasu at the Home Depot for some stuff then kept on going. We stayed at on RV park in Ehrenberg near Blythe. It was late, dark, pouring down rain. The office was closed for the day so we figured out what to do and decided my plan of bbq-ing steaks did not make sense to
changed it to burgers.

We called friends Bill & Judy Bryant and found out they were about 40 miles away…… so you know where we ended up today. Garry said it wasn’t in his plan. We only went 40 miles! But I have tv on and am watching Seahawks media day and Gar is sawing something outside to modify more things on the motorhome. The rain is gone, the sun is out and we are parked 3 stalls away from good friends.

We have the Seahawk rug out, the big #12 flag up and the Seahawk Teddy bear sitting outside in a chair. Life is good today!


Driving into Arizona on I-40 there is a stop for trucks with produce, etc. There was a huge load of boxes of bees unloaded from a semi. They were spraying them with something and thousands of bees were swarming around. Every car/rv driving by took out several hundred at a time. Good thing we were stopping for fuel so Gar could scrape all the bee goo off the front of the rig.

Between the rain and the bees we need another truck wash!!!


Whew – enough already. I hope I an get a wifi signal here to be able to finally post this.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s