Mar and Gar's Adventures

Just another weblog

The Last Chapter(s)

1 Comment

We are safely home and I will try to catch you up on everything.  I had many days without wifi, so could not post.  I am very jealous of Denise’s little Verizon do-hickey that let her get on the internet almost anywhere.  Might need to try to justify that for me

I decided all the names and people might be a little confusing for some of you, so came up with a chart and a description of everyone, so it makes more sense.  Hope it helps.  Click on the chart for a bigger view, then go back to the post.  I think that works…


Chart Description

The Hub –  Logger Dan and Denise.  Dan logged with Kasey Kahne’s dad.  Dan & Denise’s first Nascar race.

Arlene & Joe – Neighbors of Dan & Denise.  Know Busch’s, Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne and many more.  Arlene was texting with Busch’s mother, phone calls with Tony.  Got hot pit passes for Dan & Denise.  Got Dale Jr’s autograph for Garry on Dale Sr’s. coat.

Dennis from Pahrump – Grew up in Enumclaw with Dan, logged with him.

Bill & Judy – Des Moines Yacht Club friends.  Good friends of Dan & Denise for years.  Lots of fishing adventures to tell.

Bill & Jan – Des Moines Yacht Club friends.  Stayed with them at Lake Havasu for a few days.

Brian –  Good friend of ours.  Dan cut down some trees for him this year.

Randy & Terri – Des Moines Yacht Club friends.  Happened to be down for the race  and were watching over in the grandstands.  Terri’s older sister used to baby sit Kasey Kahne.


So, about the actual race day.  It was great weather – not too hot, and in fact some clouds came in later and I put on a jacket.  The viewing platforms were awesome.  We could see most of the course and had a great view of the big screen.   For those who did not want to venture to the rooftops, we had a 42″ tv for viewing that we brought from our boat.  We hooked it up to Dan’s rv in one of his side compartments and could

Some of our neighbors

watch it sitting under the awnings of the motorhomes.  It was so convenient to be on the infield.  We splurged and got passes to the Neon Garage – a spectator area where we could see into the team garages, see the driver’s meeting on race day, hear bands, get food, and if we wanted could be in Victory Lane after the race.   I took some pictures of driver’s going to the driver’s meeting but I was up on level 2, standing on a bench, so the pictures are of the tops of heads.  Have no idea who I really go, but it was fun.  If the people down below started cheering I started taking pictures.

Dale Earnhardt Jr

Our guy, Kasey Kahne, had a bad day.  Garry has retired his Kahne shirt and is going to pick a new favorite driver or two.   I have always  been a non-fan of Kyle Busch and Tony Stewart, but after meeting Arlene, who knows them personally, I am willing to change allegiance some; especially about Tony.   He seems to have matured and he sure ran a great race.  My theory is that you buy a generic souvenier t-shirt rather than a specific driver.  Then you can like anyone.

Anyway, after a super quick tear down of rooftop stands after the race (how did it take 3 days to make them and 2 hours to take them down??), those who needed to head out took off for town, leaving Dan & Denise and Garry & I to spend Sunday night at the race site for one last night.    We were ready to head out by 8:30 the next morning.

On our roof

If we get a chance to do it again, we would definitely do the infield.  It was a blast.  And I figure the money we spent to be able to do it was more than saved by not going into town and gambling and paying for a room on the Strip somewhere.  Not to mention all the meals we would have eaten out.  I believe in psych talk that is

Kahne had the pole, but never led a lap

called rationalization.


So, Monday I navigated us as best I could to miss major freeways and we got to Valencia, Ca and found a nice RV park for the night.   We had just gone to bed when I heard someone trying to get in our motorhome.   Gar jumped up – only wearing his shorts, I might add – threw open the door and after a few comments scared the guy off.  The funny part, it was an older guy carrying a laptop that got confused and thought it was his RV.  After my heart started beating normally again, we laughed alot about it.  I mean, really, how could anyone confuse our Ma & Pa Kettle RV with theirs?

Tuesday we hit US 1 and started up the California coast.  After a brief stop at Morro Bay we stayed at a State Park just south of San Simeon and the Hearst Castle.  Garry got his bonfire and we cooked polish dogs on the fire and had a great night.  Wednesday we head up the coast along the Big Sur area.  The predicted bad weather started coming in.   Highway 1 is very narrow and windy and I was white knuckled alot.  It was also very

Firestarter always works

rainy and wind-ee as oppsed to windy.  We made it through Theresa’s old college town of Santa Cruz a couple hours before it started flooding.   We successfully made it through San Francisco (that flooded in areas later that night) and took Hwy 1 to Bodega Bay.  More rain, flooding, wind, slides, narrow narrow roads and white knuckles.   In total, we went 203 miles in 10 hours and were exhausted that night!

Weather reports were getting worse and worse so instead of doing the rest of the white knuckle drive we backtracked 6 miles and headed over to Hwy 101.  Why be on the coast when you can’t see it?   We put in a long day, making it all the way to Coos Bay, Oregon.

We had heard about a winter storm that had hit several days before but it was amazing to see what it had done.  From Coos Bay all the way to Astoria (on Friday) we saw flooding, slides, snow on the sides of the roads, and trees blown down and knocked down by snow as  if one big huge gust of wind took everything down at once.  Trees were laying on their sides in nice little lines – some just snapped off and others with their entire root base.  It must have been some storm!

New friends at Morro Bay

A not so fun discovery on Thursday night was that our back window had started leaking so our pillows and part of the bed were wet, so we took that as a sign to definitely head for home.   Friday’s weather was better so we stayed on the coast and enjoyed the views but did not stop and linger.

Made it home to Des Moines on Friday at 3:15 p.m. after leaving Coos Bay and 6:30 that morning.  Another long day, but it was so nice to be home.

The trip was 3,412 miles.   Gas prices ranged from $3.51 to $4.89.  Five loads of laundry done.  Mail is sorted and organized.  Whew!  Overall a great trip but there is no place like home!

Planning the route home


One thought on “The Last Chapter(s)

  1. Hope you brought some warmer weather home with you — it has been rain or snow since you left.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s