Mar and Gar's Adventures

Just another weblog

We Are Still Here

1 Comment

Wow, it’s been a week since I posted anything.    I had to go back and read the last couple posts to see what I had even talked about!

We left Campbell River after filling up with fuel at $1.16 at litre… or just over $4.50 a gallon – actually less than we thought it would be.   We went a few hours to Von Donop Inlet on Cortes Island.  We had a few anchoring issues there with one of them bending our anchor quite abit when we got stuck on a big rock.  We finally got a great spot and spent Canada Day in pouring rain.   The next couple days were slightly better weather wise but not great.  We kept in touch with Simon and Yvonne on the Sandpiper as they made their way from Port Orchard towards us.

Last Sunday we left Von Donop and headed to Ramsey Arm – one of Garry’s most favorite places.  Got a great anchorage and spent a quiet night, but looking forward to Sandpiper’s probable arrival on Monday.  Much to our surprise another boat came in and anchored a ways from us.  Unheard of in Ramsey Arm!

Well, Simon and Yvonne arrived right on schedule and along with them came some great weather!  By Wednesday it was 91 in the sun, 81 in the shade.   We got some great clams, oysters, prawns and a couple really nice red snapper.  We ate alot!   Gar and Simon played with fixing things and prawning.  Yvonne and I played with kayaks and reading.

Speaking of fixing things, I bet you wonder what broke next, right?  The coffee pot!  It would make coffee but never shut off after the water went through.  I just would steam up the whole boat.   After a couple days of that, it healed itself and is working again.  Oh, yeah… one of the sink stoppers came apart and one piece went down the drain.  Clearly our gremlins do not have to be all electrical!

At Ramsey Arm there is one place with a very nice cabin/house that we call Smith and Wesson.  Years ago, the previous owners had a shack on their that had a sign that said “Guarded by Smith & Wesson”, so we still call it that.  Several years ago we met the current owners, Allan and Brenda from Vancouver.  They, along with Allan’s brother and another partner own it and this year Allan is building his own house on the land.  He bought a kit house and has this thing up and livable in 20 days.  The pictures I took will be downloaded when I get the  card reader for that camera.  I forgot it at home and Demie will bring it with her next weekend.

Anyway, back to Smith and Wesson…The four of us went over and got a great tour of the place.  The stuff all came in on barge and he had a crew there for a while to put it all together.   He said it was like Legos.. He is doing all the interior finish work.   They installed a turbine system in the river that sends current to batteries, to an inverter, and so they have all the electricity they need.

We had a great time chatting with them.   They gave us a couple crab so the next morning when we were leaving we dropped off some of Garry’s special prawn bait.

So we left there and headed to Shoal Bay for a night, meeting up with some Port Orchard boaters, Gene and Nancy on the Troublemaker.  He is the one that hit the rock off of Echo Bay last year.

Oh oh oh!  I forgot!   We are passing our gremlins on to others!   Simon and Yvonne’s new freezer is not working right, so we are working on a plan to get that fixed, so will be transferring alot of their frozen stuff to our boat.  I tell you, there have been more things happen.

We spent last night at Cordero Lodge where Doris, Kellie and Kellies 2 boys are holding the fort right now, still hoping for a sale of the place.  Reinhardt’s health makes it better for him in Campbell River.  The food and company was great, as usual, and Kellie’s two boys, Michael (9) and Max (6) are a delight!   Great kids!  Max thought Simon was just too cool!  It was funny.

Thank goodness for internet and texting to keep in touch at home.  It sure makes this nice to web cam with Natalie a couple of times and to pass on lists of things we need brought up, and just to hear the gossip from home.

We are leaving here mid-day today and will be hopefully heading up the Johnstone’s on Monday morning; spending a night at Minstrel Island then several nights at the Indian Village.   Next internet will be next weekend at Pierre’s Bay.   Demie will arrive then and Simon and Yvonne, Gar and I are helping put on a sock hop on the 18th.  Should be a blast!  More then.

Pictures won’t upoad due to weak signal, so will try that later.


One thought on “We Are Still Here

  1. This time next weekend if you see the Alaska ferry sail by give a shout and a wave. George and I are leaving Bellingham at 6 PM Friday, 7/22, and arriving in Ketchikan Sunday AM. Sorry to read of all the gremlins — hope they’ve abandoned ship by now. Kath and I agreed that if these same things happened to us we’d be up the proverbial creek because our husbands wouldn’t have a clue about how to fix/repair/maintain any of these glitches. Thank heaven Garry knows what the heck’s going on! Hope the remainder of your travels are gremlin-free. Cheerio, RJH

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s